(Oldie but goodie)
It’s that time of year again. Time to go back to school! Whether your kids go to traditional school or whether you homeschool like me we all need to start our day with a healthy breakfast. A lot of times we out of convenience we serve our kids sugary cereal. With just a little bit of thought, and minimal preparation you can make your kids (and yourself) quick healthy meals. The meals listed below can be taken to go, and some of them can even be made in large batches and frozen.
Why eat breakfast?
Your brain will function better. (Kids will do better in school)
You won’t be as irritable or tired. (Less disciplinary problems)
Better class attendance. (Healthier kids)
To get as many nutrients as possible in their bodies. (Opportunity to get more vitamins & fiber)
8 Quick and Healthy Breakfasts
1.Breakfast fritattas (I make these the night before and keep them in the fridge for a couple of days. Heat and take to go.)
2. Breakfast burritos served on whole wheat tortillas with canadian bacon or turkey bacon, low fat cheese and scrambled eggs, diced onions and peppers. (these can be made in large quantities and frozen. Heat in microwave or toaster oven. Take to go)
3. Baked Egg and Cheese Breakfast taquitos (these can be made in large quantities and frozen. Heat in microwave or oven. Take to go)
4. Fruit Filled Muffins (You can make these in advance. You can freeze them. Thaw the night before and take to go.)
5. Whole Grain English Muffin Breakfast Sandwich with canadian bacon, low fat cheese and scrambled eggs. (Think “McBreakfast” sandwich, but healthier. You can make a lot of these ahead of time and put in freezer. Just pop in microwave to warm or oven. Take to go.)
6. Yogurt Parfait and granola (served in a reusable plastic container)
7. Oatmeal with fresh fruit. You can sprinkle nuts on top for extra good fat. Also, sprinkle a little flax seed on top. (served in a thermos to keep it warm, if to go)
8. Green fruit smoothie to go (blend up your favorite fruit and add a handful of spinach…call it a Shrek Smoothie)