Categorized | Events, Fit Meals Monday

Fit Meals Monday

What a week in the Davis house!  My hubby was out of town for 4 days (crazy!) which meant I was a single mom running the kids around to classes and sports and homeschool activities.  (My hats off to you single mama’s I don’t know how you do it!)  Our week was also filled with anticipation!  Why?  Friday my kids got to film their first web show with 2 amazing kids, Haile and Nia, from Kids Can Cook!  They made 2 amazing dishes!  They made Jamaican Curry Shrimp Lettuce Wraps and a raw energy/protein bar!  I will never buy an energy/protein bar again!!!  These were delicious and you’ll have to wait until the show airs to get the recipes!  I’ll keep you posted.

This week was a pretty good week.  I made most of the things on my meal plan with the exception of Tuesday and Friday.  On Tuesday we made homemade pizza because my hubby was out of town and I know he LOVES fish tacos on blue corn tortillas, so I saved those for when he came home.  The other thing I changed was our Friday meal.  We try to have guests over on Friday just to hang out and fellowship and this family didn’t “appreciate” fish. :)  So, I had to make a switch I made something I rarely make which was a special treat for the kids, Spaghetti (using whole wheat pasta and I made a sauce in the slow cooker with turkey sausage and ground turkey.  It was great!  We also had a Caesar salad, yum!)  My Fit Meals plan tip is to BE FLEXIBLE!  Had I stressed over the fish situation, I would have had a bad day.  We’ll do our Friday Fish next week (when I’m back in the kitchen, see below).

This week will be a special week for us because my husband is making a come back (to the kitchen that is) and it will be a Daddy Does It (semi) RAW week!  For those of you who are new, this means he’ll be preparing all of our dinners for the week and they will be RAW or if not raw, then at least vegetarian and vegan!  Do we eat raw meat?? NO!  Raw food is vegan, which means no animal food or products, and if it’s “cooked” it can only be dehydrated at a super low temperature and we use a dehydrator to do that.  Why not cooked?  Because when you cook things a ton of the nutritional value is lost, so raw food is the healthiest thing you can eat.  To check out other Daddy Does It RAW menus and some of our experiences, click here.

Here’s our special “Daddy Does it RAW” menu for the week.

Meatless Monday– Decadent Veggie Lasagna

Wednesday– Crazy Tofu & Veggie Stir Fry

RAW Thursday– Big Daddy’s Veggie burgers

Friday– Homemade mini veggie family fun pizza (we use Trader Joe’s whole wheat pizza dough, it’s all good, no junk…same as making it myself but faster..lol kids can pick veggies)

Simple Saturday– Civil War Reinactment overnight camping (turkey sandwiches, fruit, and carrot sticks)

Super Sunday– My daughter’s 5th Birthday Party (luau theme…haven’t decided on the menu yet…something tropical… any suggestions please comment)

What’s Your Fit Meals Monday Plan?

(Make sure you read our guidelines :  )  Please click here)

If you have a blog, to join in on the fun and share your menu just add your post by clicking on the blue frog that says add your link from your Fit Meals Monday post not to your home page at the end of this post.  If you don’t have a blog share your menu plan in the comment section below.  To get a ton of recipes for all of us to look at and enjoy, spread the word and tell your blogging and non-blogging mommy friends!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

13 Responses to “Fit Meals Monday”

1. Beth says:

So the veggie burgers are raw? I would love to see that recipe! We are semi-raw in our house (as you might have been able to tell from my post about the raw birthday cake fail). I did post a recipe for the raw brownies. Thanks for hosting such great meal planning ideas! :)

2. admin says:

Hi Beth the veggie burgers are made in a dehydrator…they are in there about 4-6 hours if I remember correctly. My husband does the raw stuff so I don’t remember. I’ll get him to give me the recipe this week and I’ll post it! :) I wanted that raw brownie recipe was it on your site? I remember thinking I wanted to try it. Your cake didn’t come out if I remember correctly, but you said the brownies were good!

3. Heidi says:

For your daughters party, rent a shaved ice machine and use fresh juices instead of the syrup! It wouldn’t be a luau without the shaved ice

4. admin says:

Good idea!! She LOVES shaved ice! But, I think I’ll save $$ and just use our super duper Blendtec blender! lol… Thanks!

5. Alison says:

Thanks for the birthday wishes! And thanks, too for stopping by and leaving me a comment!

Tuna Casserole is a recent favorite of ours. I do have a recipe and will posting it soon. (I’m behind in posting my recipes!)

Under the Big Oak Tree

6. niki says:

Oooh, a luau sounds like a lot of fun! I’m thinking lots of fresh fruits and dips. Fresh pineapple is like candy to me! Yummo.

Thanks for stopping by and visiting Free 2 Be Frugal.

7. admin says:

Great idea Niki! I can make a yogurt dip for the fruit!!

8. Hi, thank you for commenting on my blog! Yes, the grilled cheddar sandwiches were just apples and cheddar on a grilled cheese. They were wonderful! Not that it’s much of a recipe but I will be posting it and the squash soup in a couple of weeks on my blog. The squash soup had apples in it and it was WONDERFUL with the grilled cheese and apple! Thanks! I’ll read more of your blog in a bit, off to bed!

9. I just saw your menu and you asked for Luau suggestions, I had a luau party last summer and blogged about it, it’s under the catagory Parties on my blog, if you can’t find it, let me know and I’ll send you a link. I can’t remember what I posted about but it was all about the luau!

10. how about hawaiian chicken for the main dish? http://creativecents.blogspot.com/2008/04/crock-pot-hawaiian-chicken.html
    it would be a simple thing to throw together in the crockpot the morning of the party and not have to worry about til ready to serve! serve with rice and it is yummo!

11. admin says:

@Mandy the Hawaiian chicken sounds great for a main dish.. I love crock pots!!

12. Jae Koba says:

Thank you. I’m supposed to cook for my new vegetarian girlfriend next week and have no idea what to make! I found a ton of recipes at this vegetarian recipes site but with soo many to choose from I just got confused. Do you have any favorites youself, like .. the tastiest vegetarian recipe, ever, or something?! Thanks in advance! I’m so clueless about this vegetarian stuff

13. thanks for that mate! awesome idea and thoroughly interesting read. i been trying to convince my boys that we should have a proper curry night-in instead of going out every week, and actually did it last week. awesome success it was, i can tell you! i found a tasty chicken and a few others from this wicked curry recipe site, and even made the naan myself too. who said guys cant cook!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks